Sunday, September 19, 2010

BBQ and Football

Cooked Dad's Brisket yesterday. We had Brett's sister and her husband over for dinner and to watch Sunday night football. They brought some baked beans that were awesome too. We also found a new show on the History Channel that my friend Heather told me about. It is called SWAMP PEOPLE. Absolutely hilarious! It is a reality show about alligator hunters in South Louisiana. It comes on at 9pm on Sundays. Check it out!

Dad's Brisket
Here is how I did it:
I used a 6.5 lb, but you can use any size.
Cut away some of the fat.
Lay out a few sheets of foil on a cookie sheet with sides (whatever that is called).
Rub mustard all over the meat.
Place fat side down and season with alot of:
salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and Tony's or steak seasoning. I also had some cocoa and chili powder I put on there.
Flip over and do the same thing on the fatty side.
Fold up foil to make a boat to catch the liquids that drain off.
Cook at 250 for about 6-8 hours.
Cover tightly with foil for and cook at 350 for another hour.
It comes out looking like this. Sometimes the top will be black.

I also found a recipe in this book that Brett's parents gave him:

It is a really neat book and has alot of good recipes. Most of them are for a smoker but I just do it in the oven instead.

Butter Stuffed Cabbage

Take a stick of butter and let it soften slightly.
Roll the butter in 1tsp of each:
onion powder
garlic powder
salt
pepper

It will look like this:


Cut a chunk of the core out of a head of cabbage and stuff the butter in there.


Place it on foil with the core side up. You may need to make it stand up with more foil.
Cover tightly and bake. I put it in with the brisket at the end so I cooked it for about 3 hours on 250 and 1 hour on 350.

Here it is. Delicious.

5 comments:

  1. dang girl those both look tasty

    you watched sunday night football huh? nice try

    ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE beef brisket, but I've never made it at home. Yours looks incredible. My mouth is watering after seeing these pictures. What a fabulous way to spend a Sunday!

    xo
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cabbage looks delish! I'm definitely going to try that one of these nights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum - that brisket looks amazing!! Makes my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad i'm not alone bc seeing this makes my mouth water too!

    ReplyDelete